Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Living Stones

I am reading Walking the Bible by Bruce Feiler. It is a book about his pilgrimmage to the places found in the pentateuch (first five books of the Old Testament). It includes interviews with many different people. One woman he interviewed said this..."the tombs, the shrines, they are wonderful and God will speak to you through those, but it's the living stones that matter, the people." We are all living stones. We worship a living God. If you come here and say, "Lord, what do you want me to see?" He will show you.

Indeed, this past week, I have seen many tombs and shrines as well as beautiful churches and breathtaking venues. All of these have already changed how I read Scripture. However, God has also shown me the "living stones" that matter, the people I have met on this holy journey. I have received insight, heart-felt encouragement and the promise of continual prayer from a wonderful couple I have heard about for years and finally had the chance to meet. These "living stones" are like a strong foundation; they are my new friends and mentors in the ministry. My Mercy Street pal and guardian angel has provided daily messages from the Bible and the Big Book. He is not just a "living stone" but a real monument to the command "love God and love others." They are several senior couples among us who loving watch out for each other. Hold hands as they walk along and speak with kind words. These "living stones" are etched with stories of perseverance and steadfast love.

Earlier in the week, I watched two of the younger pilgrims throw stones into the Sea of Galilee. As I watched the ripple spread outward, I thought about the positive impact they are making and will continue to make in the lives of others through their ministry. Jesus was all about developing relationships with others. If I may be so bold, I would agree with the woman in the interview. Living stones matter!!

Shalom,
Mary B.

1 comment:

  1. You are a living stone and a constant inspiration. I miss you, but it's mitigated by the knowledge that you are growing in faith and sharing your heart. Love you, mama.

    xoxo
    Lainey

    ReplyDelete