Saturday, February 14, 2009

February 14, Site #3

QUMRAN
Qumran is probably the “city of salt” referred to in Joshua 15:61-62. In the first century Qumran was a religious community that lived near the Dead Sea. This community was made up of a Sect of Jews called Essenes. Some scholars believe that John the Baptist (John 1:19-34) was an Essene because of his preaching and practice of baptismal repentance. The Essenes were baptized many times, every time they sinned (Acts 18:25, 19:2-5). Baptismal pools abound in Qumran. Apparently the Essenes hid their library in the caves surrounding Qumran a short time before their community was destroyed by the Romans in connection with the Jewish revolt. The scrolls in these caves were discovered from 1947-1958. The scrolls are of two varieties: scrolls of various Old Testament books, including a complete scroll of Isaiah; and other written documents relevant to the Essene community’s organization and worship.

Psalm 119:1-8, 33-40 (the importance of sacred scripture)
Happy are those whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the Lord.
Happy are those who keep his decrees, who seek him with their whole heart,
who also do no wrong, but walk in his ways.
You have commanded your precepts to be kept diligently.
O that my ways may be steadfast in keeping your statutes!
Then I shall not be put to shame, having my eyes fixed on all your commandments.
I will praise you with an upright heart, when I learn your righteous ordinances.
I will observe your statutes; do not utterly forsake me.

Teach me, O Lord, the way of your statutes, and I will observe it to the end.
Give me understanding, that I may keep your law and observe it with my whole heart.
Lead me in the path of your commandments, for I delight in it.
Turn my heart to your decrees, and not to selfish gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment