Sunday, February 15, 2009

February 15, Site #7

THE VALLEY OF HINNOM / GEHINNON
The valley runs west and south of the old city of Jerusalem. This valley is associated with bad things in Israel’s history. It was here that people worshipped the Ammanite deity, Molech, by sacrificing humans (II Kings 16:3; II Chronicles 28:3; 33:6). Jesus associated it with judgment and hell or Gehinnon (Matthew 5:22, 29, 30; 10:28; 18:9; 23:15-33). Aceldama/Akeldama (field of blood) or potter’s field was located on the southern bank of the Hinnon Valley. This is the site purchased by the high priests for thirty pieces of silver, the price of Judas’ betrayal of Jesus (Matthew 26:14-16; 27:3-8; Acts 1:19).

Matthew 18:6-9 (temptation and hell)
and saying, “Lord, my servant is lying at home paralyzed, in terrible distress.” And he said to him, “I will come and cure him.” The centurion answered, “Lord, I am not worthy to have you come under my roof; but only speak the word, and my servant will be healed. For I also am a man under authority, with soldiers under me; and I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes, and to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes, and to my slave, ‘Do this,’ and the slave does it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment